HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT IS REAL? WHERE DO THE PATHS BETWEEN FACT & FICTION CROSS?

Perhaps we are drawn to people, places, objects for a reason. In order to locate ourselves we continually make connections.

Sunday 28 March 2010

She wondered lonely as a cloud

Getting away felt good. A change of scenery, a new perspective. I felt I was rediscovering something I'd lost. Something I'd lost a long time ago. But now I know I can do it. One good thing about being on the move is that your surroundings are forever changing. The danger of being trapped in stagnant thought seems to minimise. Ironically you take yourself with you - you are static even though you're on the move. So your only point of reference is yourself, but it changes position as you travel. Perhaps it changes as you travel further away from things you know?

I watched a young woman as she stared out of the window. We were high above the clouds by this point, but she didn't wander anywhere. In fact she was very static for the duration of the journey. Almost statuesque. She looked lonely. A tear rolled from her eye. She wiped it away but another ran down her nose and splashed onto her hand. I wondered what it was that made her so sad?
She thought noone had noticed, so I smiled and pretended I hadn't either.

Somebody said before I had gone, that nothing will change if you go away. Everything just follows you. And as I returned I came to think maybe they were right. I found myself in her seat. In her exact position in fact.