HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT IS REAL? WHERE DO THE PATHS BETWEEN FACT & FICTION CROSS?

Perhaps we are drawn to people, places, objects for a reason. In order to locate ourselves we continually make connections.

Saturday 20 February 2010

The colour red

I keep having chance encounters involving fruit and vegetables. This occurred some weeks back and I've been pontificating over it ever since. I'd been shopping after work and managed to gather a heavy basket of food. I decided that I had harvested enough when a tomato dropped from my grasp and rolled across the floor. It stopped next to a man's foot. I bashfully bent down to retrieve the lost item and joined the queue. I was busy bagging my goods when I couldn't help but be distracted by the bling on the checkout assistants hairy arm. He wore a chunky gold linked bracelet and a big ring which sparkled with lots of tiny diamonds. I picked up the last orange as it rolled down the checkout. I started to walk away when he looked me right in the eye and said very purposefully, "Be good". It almost made me lose my footing. I wondered what on earth he meant? Why did he say that to me?

As I made my way out of the shop, I heard a mans voice "Excuse me", I didn't realise he was talking to me, so I kept on walking. He called after me, "Excuse me, is this your glove?". It was the man who's foot I had almost turned red and now it was me who was becoming that hue. He had steely eyes and wore a long black coat. In his hand he was holding my black leather glove.

I was thinking about this brief encounter a few days later, when I suddenly noticed a street opposite that was inviting me to investigate it. I set off and purposefully walked towards it.