HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT IS REAL? WHERE DO THE PATHS BETWEEN FACT & FICTION CROSS?

Perhaps we are drawn to people, places, objects for a reason. In order to locate ourselves we continually make connections.

Saturday 6 February 2010

Unidentified Flying Object

I watched a woman walking up and down for some time in what appeared to be a state of physical indecision. She looked serious. She meant business. Quite abruptly she turned on her heel and headed off down the road. I was curious as to what it was she had decided to do. So I followed her from a distance. She went straight to a man she knew. She knew him well, because he didn't give her any kind of welcome - he was used to her being there obviously.

She declared her state of mind to him and her impending need to act on it this time. He barely looked up from what he was doing. "But we've got a lot. We've got everything" he said. She didn't look convinced and was still pacing up and down. In his hands he was holding an electrical box which was tangled with lots of wires. She tried again to express her frustration and make some kind of connection with him. Her voice wobbled.

"I want to get the best out of what we've got. So that's what I'm going to do" he asserted. She looked deflated and turned again to leave. I had to act quickly she was heading back in my direction. Not knowing what to do, I started to run towards her. Just as we were about to pass each other I caught sight of something flying through the sky high above us. It looked extraordinary and I ground to halt to watch it. It appeared to be a miniature hot air balloon with a roaring orange flame, traveling at quite a speed.

Unable to engage with the outside world she walked past me, not noticing the oddness of the situation.