HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT IS REAL? WHERE DO THE PATHS BETWEEN FACT & FICTION CROSS?

Perhaps we are drawn to people, places, objects for a reason. In order to locate ourselves we continually make connections.

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Traces

I returned home and as I 'clip-clopped' down the path to the back door I noticed traces of a mans footsteps in the snow. One of them looked enormous and I had a sudden thought that I might be about to confront a giant. But then I realised that his backwards and forwards footsteps had become one at that point - he'd retraced his steps almost exactly. They walked into the garden, right down to the shed and back again. If the snow hadn't been there I wouldn't have known. What was he doing in the back garden anyway? The house was empty and no-one should have been there.

I wondered what else happened without a trace when the snow isn't there?