HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT IS REAL? WHERE DO THE PATHS BETWEEN FACT & FICTION CROSS?

Perhaps we are drawn to people, places, objects for a reason. In order to locate ourselves we continually make connections.

Sunday 13 December 2009

A for Acorn or Avenue?

The road ahead was bendy, the road behind had been so, but where he walked now was straight. He was purposeful.

We'd arranged to meet there. We both knew what it meant. I had tried to prepare him on the phone - "you know this isn't going to be nice, don't you?". We met on the platform. It was cold - the sort of day where you can see people breathing into the air. We set off together to find the place where we would stay the night. When we got there he broke down - "I just can't do this anymore". But it was me who was in control; I mean I'd arranged the whole thing. It seems funny now that we did it on Remembrance Sunday. But it was significant. And to think now I can't remember which one it was. I went back - I walked up and down outside to see if anything triggered a memory, a feeling. Nothing. All that came to me was the letter A and a man with a case. It seemed as if I'd gone full circle, though I'd only walked in straight lines.