HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT IS REAL? WHERE DO THE PATHS BETWEEN FACT & FICTION CROSS?

Perhaps we are drawn to people, places, objects for a reason. In order to locate ourselves we continually make connections.

Monday 28 December 2009

Overheard silence

We were all stood still when someone pointed out that the clock on the wall had taken ownership of time. Time was fast forwarding of its own accord. We all stood and watched in amazement. It just kept going and going. Until it got to 4 o'clock and then stopped abruptly, before continuing in a more normal fashion.

It seemed to me that I needed to keep moving - nothing of any fathomable use came to me when I was still. Perhaps that was why I was always on the go; on the lookout for answers to questions I hadn't even thought of. Maybe I was missing something that had been right in front of me all along. Or maybe I was ahead of myself? I was so busy focusing on my northbound expeditions that I had been forgetting to look in all directions.

For a long time nothing happened. I was beginning to think nothing would. Then all of a sudden I looked up and saw him walk past the window. My heart pounded. It was meant to be. Surely this was a sign? I thought of an excuse to follow him. I walked quickly and then slowed right down.

What was I going to say? I hadn't rehearsed anything. I decided to just go with it and see what happened. He appeared to be talking on his mobile phone, thinking he was alone. And it wasn't the first time this had occurred. I inched closer. I overheard him say "Just make it up - sound convincing, they'll never know." He laughed.

I tried to decide what was better - truth that hurt or untruths that didn't?